Humantay Lake Full Day Shared Tour from Cusco
Embark on an unforgettable full-day shared tour from Cusco to the stunning Humantay Lake, nestled in the breathtaking Andes Mountains. This classic adventure takes you through picturesque landscapes, offers encounters with local culture, and culminates with a breathtaking view of the turquoise lake. Get ready for a day of natural wonders and unforgettable memories!
- Humantay Lake: Discover the mesmerizing beauty of Humantay Lake, an awe-inspiring turquoise gem surrounded by the majestic Andes Mountains. The mirror-like waters reflect the stunning glacial peaks, creating a picture-perfect landscape that will leave you in awe.
- Scenic Andean Landscapes: Immerse yourself in the breathtaking Andean countryside as you travel from Cusco to Mollepata and Soraypampa. Enjoy panoramic views of lush valleys, rugged mountains, and quaint villages that showcase the natural diversity of the region.
- Hiking Adventure: Embark on an exhilarating hiking journey to Humantay Lake, led by an experienced guide. Trek through the high-altitude trails, passing through picturesque scenery and witnessing unique flora and fauna along the way.
- Local Culture: Experience the warmth and hospitality of the Andean people as you interact with locals in Mollepata and Soraypampa. Learn about their customs and traditions, gaining insight into the rich cultural heritage of the region.
- Humantay Glacier: Marvel at the imposing Humantay Glacier, which serves as the source of the stunning lake. Gain a deeper appreciation for the delicate balance between glaciers and the ecosystems they support.
- Photography Opportunities: Capture unforgettable moments as you snap photographs of the captivating landscapes, Humantay Lake, and the surrounding mountains. Create lasting memories of this once-in-a-lifetime experience.
- Delicious Meals: Enjoy a delicious breakfast in Mollepata to kickstart your day, and indulge in a well-deserved lunch in Soraypampa after the hike. Taste authentic Peruvian cuisine, providing a culinary delight during your adventure.
- Nature Reflection: Take a moment of tranquility at Humantay Lake’s shore to reflect on the raw beauty of nature. The serenity of the location offers a peaceful escape from the hustle and bustle of everyday life.
TicketsAll Entrance tickets to Humantay Lake
GuideEnglish speaking, professional local guide
TranportationRound trip transportation from Cusco - Soraypampa
MealsBreakfast and Buffet lunch
Pick upPick up from your accommodation in Cusco city
MoreOxygen bottle (for emergencies) , 1 Wood stick (optional) , First-aid kit
Horse (available to rent for 100 Peruvian Sol per person, in cash)
- Early Morning Departure: Your adventure begins with an early morning pickup from your hotel in Cusco. The tour guide and a small group of fellow travelers will meet you to commence the journey to Humantay Lake.
- Scenic Drive to Mollepata: Travel in a comfortable shared vehicle as you make your way through the scenic Andean countryside. Enjoy stunning views of the valleys and mountains as you head towards Mollepata, a picturesque town where you will stop for a delicious breakfast.
- Breakfast in Mollepata: Arrive in Mollepata and savor a hearty breakfast to fuel your energy for the upcoming hike.
- Drive to Soraypampa: After breakfast, continue your journey by vehicle to Soraypampa, the starting point of the trek to Humantay Lake.
- Hiking Adventure to Humantay Lake: Begin your approximately 1.5 to 2-hour hike to Humantay Lake, accompanied by a knowledgeable guide. The trail offers awe-inspiring views of the Andes and an opportunity to observe local flora and fauna.
- Humantay Lake – Natural Beauty Unleashed: Arrive at the dazzling Humantay Lake, situated at the base of the majestic Humantay Glacier. The vivid turquoise waters reflecting the surrounding snow-capped peaks create a scene straight out of a postcard. Take a moment to relish the tranquility and stunning beauty of this high-altitude gem.
- Time for Photos and Reflection: Capture the moment with photos that will forever remind you of this surreal experience. Reflect on the remarkable natural wonders that lie before you.
- Descend to Soraypampa: Bid farewell to Humantay Lake and commence the descent back to Soraypampa, where a satisfying lunch awaits.
- Lunch at Soraypampa: Enjoy a well-deserved lunch in Soraypampa, featuring delicious local Peruvian cuisine.
- Return to Cusco: After lunch, board the shared vehicle and begin your return journey to Cusco.
- Arrival in Cusco: Arrive back in Cusco in the early evening, where you will be dropped off at your hotel or a central location, concluding your Humantay Lake shared tour.
Premium Shared Tour Price: $49 USD per person (Solo travelers)
- from 2 persons: $48 per person
- from 4 persons: $47 per person
- from 6 persons: $46 per person
- from 10 persons: $45 per person
How to book?
To book with us, follow these simple steps:
- Select the desired quantity.
- Choose your preferred date and wait for availability confirmation.
- The total price will be automatically displayed. No need to worry about quantity discounts; our system handles it for you.
- Add any additional items or services.
- Confirm your reservation by paying the full amount.
Booking with us is quick and effortless!
What to bring
- Comfortable hiking shoes/boots
- Warm clothing and layers (as temperatures can vary)
- Sun hat and sunglasses
- Sunscreen and lip balm
- Camera or smartphone for capturing the beautiful scenery
- Personal water bottle
- Cash for souvenirs and tips
What to wear
- Layered clothing (moisture-wicking base, warm insulating layer, waterproof/windproof jacket)
- Comfortable trekking pants
- Long-sleeved shirt
- Hat and sunglasses
- Sturdy hiking shoes/boots
- Moisture-wicking socks
- Sunscreen and lip balm
- Personal water bottle
- Daypack for essentials
- Energy-boosting snacks
- Cash for souvenirs and tips
- Plan Ahead: Research your destination thoroughly and plan your itinerary in advance. This will help you make the most of your time and ensure you don’t miss out on must-see attractions.
- Pack Light: Travel with only the essentials to avoid carrying heavy luggage. Pack versatile clothing that can be mixed and matched, and don’t forget important items like travel documents, chargers, and medication.
- Stay Hydrated: Drink plenty of water, especially in warm climates or at high altitudes. Staying hydrated is crucial for your overall well-being during your journey.
- Respect Local Customs: Learn about the local customs and traditions of the places you visit. Show respect for the local culture and be mindful of appropriate behaviors and dress codes.
- Stay Safe: Prioritize your safety at all times. Be aware of your surroundings, avoid risky areas, and take necessary precautions to protect your belongings.
- Try Local Cuisine: Immerse yourself in the local culture by sampling the traditional cuisine. Be adventurous with your food choices and explore the flavors of the region.
- Interact with Locals: Engage with locals and fellow travelers. Conversations with the locals can offer valuable insights and create meaningful connections.
- Be Flexible: Travel plans can sometimes change due to unforeseen circumstances. Stay flexible and open-minded to adapt to unexpected situations.
- Document Your Journey: Take photos and keep a travel journal to capture the memories of your trip. These mementos will allow you to relive your experiences long after the journey ends.
- Leave No Trace: Practice responsible tourism by minimizing your impact on the environment. Dispose of waste properly and avoid damaging natural or historical sites.
- Use Local Transportation: Whenever possible, use local transportation options to support the local economy and have an authentic travel experience.
- Stay Mindful of Cultural Sensitivities: Be mindful of cultural sensitivities, especially when taking photographs or discussing sensitive topics. Ask for permission before photographing people, religious sites, or private properties.
Things to Know
1. Altitude and Acclimatization
Humantay Lake is situated at a high altitude of approximately 4,200 meters (13,780 feet) above sea level. To minimize the risk of altitude-related discomfort, it’s crucial to acclimate to the altitude in Cusco for at least a day before the tour. Stay hydrated and take it easy during the trek to ensure an enjoyable experience.
2. Physical Fitness Level
The trek to Humantay Lake is of moderate difficulty, involving a hike of approximately 1.5 to 2 hours each way. Participants should have a reasonable level of physical fitness and be prepared to walk on uneven terrain and ascend uphill sections. If you have any health concerns, consult with a medical professional before joining the tour.
3. Weather Conditions
The weather in the Andes can be unpredictable, even during the dry season. Be prepared for varying temperatures and weather conditions. Dress in layers, including a waterproof jacket, to adapt to the changing weather. Don’t forget to bring a hat and sunglasses for sun protection.
4. Packing Essentials
Pack accordingly for the day trip. Essentials include comfortable hiking clothing, sturdy trekking shoes or boots with good grip, a daypack for carrying essentials, sunscreen, sunglasses, and a refillable water bottle. Your camera will be essential to capture the stunning landscapes.
5. Respect the Environment and Locals
Humantay Lake is a natural wonder, and it’s crucial to preserve its beauty and protect the surrounding environment. Stay on designated paths to minimize your impact and avoid leaving any trash behind. Respect the local culture and customs when interacting with the residents of Mollepata and Soraypampa.
6. Guided Tours
To enhance your experience and ensure your safety during the Humantay Lake trek, it’s highly recommended to join a guided tour. Xplore Cusco’s experienced guides can provide valuable insights, share local knowledge, and navigate the best routes.
7. Altitude Sickness Remedies
If you’re concerned about altitude sickness, consider bringing remedies like coca leaves or altitude sickness medication. Coca leaves are commonly used by locals to alleviate symptoms. Always consult with your guide or a healthcare professional if you experience any discomfort.
8. Cash for Souvenirs and Tips
Carry some local currency to purchase souvenirs from local vendors in Mollepata or Soraypampa. Additionally, if you feel your Xplore Cusco guide provided an excellent experience, it’s customary to tip them as a gesture of appreciation.
9. Photography and Respectful Photography
Humantay Lake offers breathtaking photo opportunities. Capture the beauty of the lake and its surroundings, but also remember to be respectful of the local culture and people. Always ask for permission before taking close-up photos of individuals.
10. Enjoy the Journey
Above all, embrace the journey to Humantay Lake and immerse yourself in the unique experience. The trek may have its challenges, but the beauty of the turquoise lake and the Andean landscapes will make it a truly memorable adventure. Savor every moment and create lasting memories with Xplore Cusco!
How difficult is the hike to Humantay Lake?
The hike to Humantay Lake is considered moderate in difficulty. It involves walking on uneven terrain and ascending uphill sections. Participants should have a reasonable level of physical fitness and be prepared for the high-altitude environment.
Is altitude sickness a concern during the tour?
Yes, altitude sickness can be a concern due to the high altitude of approximately 4,200 meters (13,780 feet). It's essential to acclimate to the altitude in Cusco for at least a day before the tour. Xplore Cusco recommends staying hydrated and taking it easy during the trek to minimize the risk of altitude-related discomfort.
What should I pack for the tour?
Pack comfortable hiking clothing, sturdy trekking shoes or boots with good grip, a daypack for essentials, sunscreen, sunglasses, a hat, gloves, and a refillable water bottle. Don't forget your camera to capture the stunning landscapes of Humantay Lake.
How long is the hike to Humantay Lake?
The hike to Humantay Lake takes approximately 1.5 to 2 hours each way, depending on the group's pace. The duration may vary depending on weather conditions and individual fitness levels.
Is the tour suitable for children?
While the tour is family-friendly, the high altitude and moderate difficulty of the hike may not be suitable for very young children. It's essential to consider the physical capabilities of each child and consult with Xplore Cusco before bringing children on the tour.
Are there restrooms along the trek?
There are no restroom facilities available during the trek to Humantay Lake. Restroom breaks are typically scheduled during the transportation stops.
Can I bring my own snacks and food?
Yes, you can bring your own snacks and food for the hike. However, please be mindful of waste and make sure to carry any trash back with you to preserve the environment.
Are there vegetarian or special dietary options available for meals?
Yes, Xplore Cusco can accommodate vegetarian and other special dietary requests. Please inform them in advance during the booking process to ensure proper arrangements are made.
Can I join the tour if I have health issues?
If you have any pre-existing health conditions or concerns, it's crucial to consult with a medical professional before joining the tour. The high altitude and physical demands of the hike may not be suitable for everyone.
Is the tour canceled in case of bad weather?
The tour may be altered or postponed in case of adverse weather conditions that could affect the safety of participants. We prioritizes the well-being of travelers and will make the necessary adjustments if needed.