Train to Machu Picchu
In this article from machu-picchu.org, we want to explain about how to get to Machu Picchu by train and all the options that tourists have to get to the lost city of the Incas.
More than 5 thousand tourists visit Machu Picchu every day, of these travelers, more than 80% arrive by train. The main reason is that the train is the safest and easiest way to reach the citadel of Machu Picchu.
There are two train companies that operate the Cusco – Machu Picchu route: PERU RAIL and INCA RAIL. Of these 2, the one with more service options and departures is Peru Rail.
In high season (May, June, July and August), it is not always possible to find availability of tickets or train tickets from Cusco to Machu Picchu. Therefore, we recommend buying train tickets well in advance (2 months or more).
How to get to Machu Picchu
Before we start explaining more details about going by train, we have to explain, that to get to Machu Picchu there are 3 options.
- Going by train.
- Hiking (Inca Trail, Salkantay trek, Inca jungle, lares trek).
- “By Car” + Hiking.
Machu Picchu Tickets
How to buy, where you can buy and more.
Trains to Machu Picchu: Peru Rail vs Inca Rail
The only two companies, which are Peru Rail and Inca Rail have differentiated services to travel to Machu Picchu. Therefore, the choice of either of these companies will depend on the type of service you wish to take. However, you should know that PeruRail is the company that offers more options and frequencies to Aguas Calientes (closest station to Machu Picchu).
Peru Rail is the main company and railway operator for freight and passengers in southern Peru. It operates several routes, one of the best known is Cusco – Puno – Arequipa in its luxury train “Andean Explorer”, but its main route of operations is: Poroy – Ollantaytambo – Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu Pueblo).
From 2019 it has a new route: San Pedro (in the city of Cusco) – Poroy – Ollantaytambo – Aguas Calientes.
Peru Rail has 4 types of train services to Machu Picchu for foreign tourists (Expeditions, Vistadome, Hiring Bingham and Sacred Valley) and 1 local train service only for Peruvians and foreign residents.
The Vistadome Train
The Vistadome Train is a type of train with wide carriages, with panoramic windows on the roof and on the sides that will allow you to see taking pictures of the whole landscape of the Andes along the route of the train.
This train is ideal for observing the impressive natural landscape that surrounds the train between Cusco and Machu Picchu. It also has large panoramic windows on both sides of its carriages and on the roof. It offers onboard snack service with ingredients from Andean products and includes non-alcoholic beverages. And, on the return trip, it offers a parade of traditional clothes made with baby alpaca and an Andean dance show.
The Vistadome Perurail train for guests of the Belmond Río Sagrado Hotel offers an exclusive service of its trains: Vistadome 601 (out) and Vistadome 304 (return).
The Expedition Train
The Expedition train has wagons that are fully covered by panoramic windows and has service on board such as: Sandwiches and Peruvian food.
Services we can find:
- Hot and cold drinks
The Sacred Valley
This train, as its name indicates, connects Urubamba with Machu Picchu in a luxurious journey through the beautiful landscapes of the Sacred Valley of the Incas. It includes lunch (or dinner) in the observatory car or dining car.
Like the Hiram Bingham train, the Sacred Valley train has a dining car and an observatory bar car where we can meet:
- Reception with Andean infusion tea.
- Gourmet lunch.
- Gourmet dinner.
The luxury train “Hiram Bingham”
The Hiram Bingham train is one of the most luxurious trains in the world, very exclusive and with full service. It has 4 wagons, dining wagons, bar wagons, gourmet dinner, transportation and the option of tickets to Machu Picchu.
It has an exclusive wagon for observation, and has the following services:
- Welcome show with typical dances from Cusco and typical and international music shows on board.
- The most delicious Peruvian cocktails.
- Gourmet lunch.
- Live music show.
- Guided tour in Machu Picchu in English or Spanish.
- Entrance to Machu Picchu.
- Private bus to the Inca city of Machu Picchu.
- Tea time at the Belmond Sanctuary Lodge from 16.00 pm.
- VIP room at the Machu Picchu station.
- This luxury train (Hiram Bingham) to Machu Picchu leaves, every day except the last Sunday of each month, from Poroy station.
Inca Rail is the second railway company that offers passenger transport services from Cusco to Machu Picchu Pueblo.
It has the following routes of 1: Poroy – Ollantaytambo – Aguas Calientes and 2: Ollantaytambo – Aguas Calientes.
Like Perurail, it has several types of services that have different prices.
Also Incarail doesn’t has local train service.
The Voyager train
The Voyager has wagons with comfortable seats, folding tables and panoramic windows. With Latin American music. There is service on board and a selection of drinks made with Andean fruits and herbs. It is similar to Perurail’s Vistadome train.
- Hot and cold drinks.
- Ambient music.
The 360º train
They have large panoramic windows, Latin American music, onboard service, with a selection of hot and cold drinks, as well as the sale of handmade products on board. This type of train is similar to Perurail’s Expedition train.
- Andean sandwiches.
- Hot and cold drinks.
- On-board entertainment system.
- Sale of handcrafted products on board.
The First Class train
It is a train service that has ambient music, natural flowers and lined tables. You will be served a welcome cocktail, a gourmet lunch and/or dinner. It is only available in high tourism season (April to October) and on special dates. We can compare it to the train in the Sacred Valley of Perurail.
- Welcome cocktail.
- Gourmet lunch and dinner.
- Outdoor observatory car.
- Gastronomic menu
- Free bar and drinks
- Live music show
- Bus to Machu Picchu.
The Private train
With capacity for 8 people. The wagon, known as the “Inca Princess” is of the presidential class. The car has many details in its decoration, food on board, open bar. This train only works on request. This train of Incarail is similar to the Hiring Bingham of Perurail.
- A private car to enjoy luxury and exclusivity.
- Outside balcony.
- Gourmet menu.
- Bar and free drinks.
- Live music show.
- Private bus to the citadel of Machu Picchu.
Train schedules to Machu Picchu
In this section, we will show the tables of the different train schedules to Machu Picchu according to company and stations.
Peru Rail Trains Schedules
Going to Machu Picchu
- Boarding: San Pedro station, Poroy station, Urubamba station or Ollantaytambo station.
- Arrival: Aguas Calientes station.
|BOARDING STATION||TYPE TRAIN||DEPARTURE||ARRIVAL||PRICE||ARRIVAL STATION|
|San Pedro||Vistadome||06:40||10:52||86 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|San Pedro||Vistadome||07:30||12:11||86 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Poroy||Expedition||06:40||09:54||70 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Poroy||Vistadome||07:35||10:52||105 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Poroy||Vistadome||08:25||12:11||115 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Poroy||Hiram Bingham||09:05||12:24||450 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Urubamba||Vistadome||06:50||09:24||95 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Urubamba||Sacred Valley||10:30||13:34||170 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Ollantaytambo||Expedition||05:05||06:35||65 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Ollantaytambo||Expedition||06:10||07:40||65 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Ollantaytambo||Expedition||07:45||09:15||65 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Ollantaytambo||Expedition||08:29||09:54||65 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Ollantaytambo||Expedition||11:52||13:34||65 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Ollantaytambo||Expedition||12:55||14:25||65 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Ollantaytambo||Expedition||19:04||20:45||65 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Ollantaytambo||Expedition||21:00||22:45||55 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Ollantaytambo||Sacred Valley||11:52||13:34||170 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Ollantaytambo||Vistadome||07:05||08:27||95 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Ollantaytambo||Vistadome||08:00||09:25||95 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Ollantaytambo||Vistadome||08:53||10:29||85 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Ollantaytambo||Vistadome||09:15||10:52||95 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Ollantaytambo||Vistadome||10:32||12:11||85 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Ollantaytambo||Vistadome||13:27||14:50||75 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Ollantaytambo||Vistadome||15:37||17:02||85 USD||Aguas Calientes|
Returning to Cusco
- Boarding: Aguas Calientes Station.
- Arrival: San Pedro Station, Poroy Station, Urubamba Station or Ollantaytambo Station.
|TYPE TRAIN||DEPARTURE||ARRIVAL||PRICES||ARRIVAL STATION|
|Sacred Valley||19:30||21:28||170 USD||Ollantaytambo|
|Sacred Valley||19:30||22:37||170 USD||Urubamba|
|Hiram Bingham||17:50||21:16||430 USD||Poroy|
|Vistadome||16:43||21:23||86 USD||San Pedro|
|Vistadome||17:23||21:52||86 USD||San Pedro|
Inca Rail Trains Schedules
Going to Machu Picchu – Aguas Calientes
- Boarding: Cusco and Ollantaytambo.
- Arrival: Aguas Calientes.
|DEPARTURE STATION||TYPE TRAIN||DEPARTURE||ARRIVAL||PRICE||ARRIVAL STATION|
|Cusco||THE FIRST CLASS||08:28||12:41||200 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Cusco||THE 360°||05:00||08:48||86 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Cusco||THE 360° BIMODAL||10:16||14:00||87 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Cusco||THE VOYAGER||08:28||12:41||71 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Cusco||THE VOYAGER BIMODAL||04:10||08:01||75 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Cusco||THE VOYAGER BIMODAL||08:40||12:41||71 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Cusco||THE VOYAGER BIMODAL||16:15||21:09||82 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Poroy||THE 360°||05:55||08:48||86 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Ollantaytambo||THE FIRST CLASS||11:15||09:15||200 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Ollantaytambo||THE 360°||07:22||08:48||86 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Ollantaytambo||THE 360°||11:30||13:06||86 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Ollantaytambo||THE 360°||12:36||14:00||77 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Ollantaytambo||THE VOYAGER||06:40||08:01||68 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Ollantaytambo||THE VOYAGER||11:15||12:41||59 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Ollantaytambo||THE VOYAGER||16:36||18:09||75 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Ollantaytambo||THE VOYAGER||19:27||21:09||72 USD||Aguas Calientes|
Returning to Cusco
- Boarding: Aguas Calientes.
- Arrival: Ollantaytambo and Cusco.
|TYPE TRAIN||DEPARTURE||ARRIVAL||PRICE||ARRIVAL STATION|
|THE FIRST CLASS||19:00||23:35||200 USD||Cusco|
|THE 360°||16:12||20:35||95 USD||Cusco|
|THE 360° BIMODAL||10:32||14:32||87 USD||Cusco|
|THE VOYAGER||19:00||23:35||87 USD||Cusco|
|THE VOYAGER BIMODAL||14:30||18:30||79 USD||Cusco|
|THE VOYAGER BIMODAL||19:00||23:00||87 USD||Cusco|
|THE VOYAGER BIMODAL||21:30||01:15||60 USD||Cusco|
|THE 360°||16:12||19:39||95 USD||Poroy|
|THE FIRST CLASS||19:00||20:41||200 USD||Ollantaytambo|
|THE 360°||10:32||12:12||77 USD||Ollantaytambo|
|THE 360°||16:12||17:50||95 USD||Ollantaytambo|
|THE VOYAGER||08:30||10:10||59 USD||Ollantaytambo|
|THE VOYAGER||14:30||15:56||72 USD||Ollantaytambo|
|THE VOYAGER||19:00||20:41||73 USD||Ollantaytambo|
|THE VOYAGER||20:20||21:59||54 USD||Ollantaytambo|
|THE VOYAGER||21:30||22:54||50 USD||Ollantaytambo|
How to buy your train ticket to Machu Picchu
On Peru Rail
- Go to the PeruRail website.
- Make a search for service availability on the date you want to go, the type of service you want and from which station you want to take the train.
- Choose and complete your personal data.
- Make the payment using your card or the available means that the web gives you.
- Finally, print your train ticket.
At the office
- Larcomar Shopping Center: 610 Malecón de la Reserva Avenue, Stand 214, Miraflores District – Lima.
- Jorge Chávez International Airport: Av. Elmer Faucett s/n, between gate 13 and 14 for domestic flights, Lima.
- Plaza Norte Shopping Center: 1400 Alfredo Mendiola Avenue, first floor of Galería Sur, Lima.
- Alejandro Velasco Astete International Airport: Av. Velasco Astete s/n, Cusco.
- Plaza de Armas: Portal de Carnes 214, Cusco.
- Regocijo Square 202, Cusco.
- 409 El Sol Avenue, Cusco.
- Wanchaq Station: Pachacutec Avenue s/n, Cusco
- Poroy Station: Roldan Street s/n, Cusco.
- Urubamba Station: Av. Ferrocarril s/n Urubamba, Sacred Valley – Cusco.
- Ollantaytambo Station: Av. Ferrocarril s/n Ollantaytambo, Sacred Valley – Cusco.
- Aguas Calientes Station: Las Orquídeas Neighborhood, Machu Picchu
On Inca Rail
- Go to the Inca Rail website.
- Do a search for availability of dates and type of service.
- Choose a route and select the type of service.
- Fill in your personal details.
- Choose a payment method and make the payment.
- Finally, print your train ticket.
- Portal de Panes 105, Cusco’s main square
- Av. el Sol N° 843, Cusco.
- Ollantaytambo Station: Av. Ferrocarril s/n, district of Ollantaytambo
- Aguas Calientes Station: district of Machu Picchu s/n
Recommendations for buying your train ticket to Machu Picchu
Please read carefully the recommendations we give you from machu-picchu.org, these will help you to prevent several inconveniences when going to Machu Picchu.
- Before buying your train ticket, you must first buy your ticket for the citadel of Machu Picchu, so that according to the date and time of entry to Machu Picchu, you can choose the train that suits you best.
- Buy your train ticket well in advance, especially for the high season, about 2 or 3 months before.
- Carry your valid identity card or passport.
- Please note that in the rainy season, trains cannot leave due to security issues and route closures, in which case you should go to the train company offices and reschedule.
- Only the traveler’s luggage is allowed, PeruRail has a free storage service. We recommend that you leave your luggage at the hotel where you are staying.
Frequently Asked Questions about Train to Machu Picchu
No. But going through valleys, mountains and tunnels can be a little scary, but overall it’s a very exciting route.
Yes, of course.
It depends on the type of company, service and date of purchase, train tickets are sold in the same way as airline tickets.
It usually takes about 2 hours or more to get to Aguas Calientes. It depends on which train station you take the service from.
There are 2 companies, in both, you can buy online and physically in specific places that are shown in detail on our page.
Prices vary according to the type of service, which company, how far in advance you buy it and according to seasons.
From Cusco, about 3 and a half hours and from Poroy about 3 hours.
Peru rain and inca rail have several types of trains that go to Aguas Calientes (Machupicchu Pueblo).
The best train to Machu Picchu is the famous Hiring Bingham luxury train from Perurail.
Perurail has: Vistadome, Expedition, Sacred Valley and luxury train Hiring Bingham. Incarail has: The Vogaver, The 360, The First Class and The Private.
According to your budget, you can take from the cheapest Vistadome train to the luxury train that Perurail e Incarail has.